Tips from Noble Beast on How to Keep Your Pets Safe This Halloween

Our pets are part of the family and naturally we want to involve them in the festivities when we celebrate holidays. Here’s how to do it responsibly for the sake of your pets and the rest of the family:

Beware of Creepy Decor

Burning candles can singe whiskers or get knocked over and start a fire. Wires can be chewed, tripped over or choked on. Batteries and glow sticks need to be kept out of reach too. 

Costumes May Not Be So Cute

A dog in a wig just never gets old. We get it. But there are some things to think about before you shove little Winston into a costume. Are you causing your pet undue stress? If they don’t like it, it’s not worth it. Make sure the costume does not limit your pet’s movement or ability to see, breathe or do their business. Look out for dangling pieces that can be chewed off and injested or choked on. Watch out for this on the human costumes as well. Ill-fitting costumes can get twisted or caught on objects causing injury to your pet. Put the costume on before Halloween and test it out for a bit. Never leave a pet in a costume unsupervised.

Toxic Treats

Most people recognize that chocolate is toxic for dogs, but so are the sugar substitute xylitol as well as raisins. Keep candy away from your pets.   If you suspect your pet has ingested something toxic, please call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 immediately.

Stranger Danger

Keep your cat inside on Halloween. When opening the door for guests, be sure that your dog or cat doesn’t dart outside. Keeping them in a separate room is best. And always make sure your pet is wearing proper identification—if for any reason he or she does escape, a collar with ID tags and/or a microchip can save the day.