Naughty and Nice: Safety Tips for Pet Owners During the Holidays

Oh Tannenbaum
Don’t let your pets drink the Christmas tree water. Bacteria = Diarrhea

Deck the Halls
Mistletoe and holly are poisonous to pets and many varieties of lilies can cause kidney failure in cats. If you have cats, forgo the tinsel and don’t let them get to ribbons or the confetti in poppers.

Holly Jolly
Make sure guests know to keep medications out of reach of pets. Recreational substances and alcohol can also make your animals very sick if they get into them.

Eyes All Aglow
Don’t have unattended lit candles around your pets. Make sure your pets are not exposed to wires they might want to chew, or batteries–shocking!

There’s No Place Like Home for the Holidays
Give your pets a place to chill away from guests during parties and take precautions so that they don’t get out without you knowing it. Make sure they have current tags and microchips.

Food, Glorious Food
Dangerous foods: Xylitol (used as a sweetener in many products), yeast dough, salt & salty snacks, nuts–especially Macadamia, grapes, raisins, chocolate and avocado (dangerous for birds, rabbits and other critters). Nice foods: plain meats or fish, plain green beans, carrots, zucchini, rice, peanut butter, blueberries.